Do you prescribe medication
- Counselling and psychotherapy are talking therapies, which means that I do not prescribe medication.
What is the difference between counselling and psychotherapy
- They often overlap depending on what you wish to achieve and your goals. We can work on your goals together if you are unsure.
- Typically counselling is for a set number of sessions dealing with the immediate, eg when a person experiences a specific event that triggers emotions and feelings that they wish to speak about. The types of experiences maybe relationship difficulties or break ups romantic or with family, bereavement, work issues including redundancy and displacement although the list is not exhaustive.
- Often psychotherapy is of a longer term nature as it is deeper. You may come because you feel ill at ease or unlike yourself or not know what is going on or you notice unhelpful patterns in your relationships.This maybe because there has been an accumulation of events, which may relate to childhood issues or ways in which you relate with others.
- In this space you experience an untangling of your emotional self in order to gain awareness reflection and insight into yourself as a person. This is the key to your personal growth and development.
- In either case, we speak about what brings you. I may ask you questions or ask for clarification to facilitate you being able to identify and understand your feelings.
- I am not directive or an advisor but a source of support whilst you navigate your emotional wellbeing.
- As I am not part of your life outside of the therapeutic space, you experience someone who is solely concentrating on you to enable you to gain insight and awareness to see choices when at times it didn’t feel like there were any.
- Working collaboratively with you the ultimate aim is empowerment and resilience.
What if I have counselling and psychotherapy as part of my employee assistance programme (EAP) or if I have health insurance
• If it is through your EAP in my experience you need to contact them and go through their process for onward referral. You may wish to check with them if I work for their EAP and if I do request that the referral is made to me. In some cases this maybe possible say if I work within a certain radius of where you live or work or if as at the moment we are working remotely either online or by telephone. You would usually be referred for a set of sessions, typically 6-8 depending on the EAP. If you wish to continue after your allocated sessions an EAP typically wish you to take a break before you engage with me privately. In my experience this is likely to be a couple of months.
• If you wish to come through your healthcare provider I am registered with most household names by all means give me a call to check and I will let you know. The next step is to contact your healthcare provider. Usually you would then go through their assessment process which provides you with an authorisation code. Once we are in contact I will send you a brief questionnaire for completion before we start.
• Some insurers such as BUPA are allowing you to choose your provider rather than suggesting a range. In such event just look me up on the “Find a provider” profile. If you wish to continue after the initial allocation of sessions your insurance provider may sanction more. Each insurer will have their own protocol if you wish to engage direct. With most there is no bar to engage direct without the requirement for a gap.
- What we speak of is confidential. The exception is if you are about to harm yourself or someone around you.
- I attend supervision with experienced and qualified supervisors on a regular basis and will speak about our work. This is in order that I am the most effective for you. This is my ethical commitment to you.
- In supervision I will only mention your first name or initial if you prefer and my supervisor will not be able to identify you and will not have any contact with you. My supervisors are also bound by UKCP ethics.
How often do we engage
- In order for therapy to be effective attendance once a week is the minimum although we may agree more if this is supportive for you. It is on the same day and same time each week.
- In order for you to benefit, our sessions are chargeable so that you commit to the process save for the initial brief free conversation on the telephone.
- If I am unavailable as I am on holiday or unwell you will not be charged. In either case I will give you as much notice as possible.
- If for any reason you cannot attend, the session maybe rescheduled in the week of which we are speaking if I have availability but if not and you can’t attend at another time or miss it it is still charged.
- This is because I reserve your space with me in my diary. I would use the session to think about you and our work together.
How do I pay you
- I request payment weekly before your session by online transfer.
Do I get homework
- It depends on the approach that we decide on. If it enables you to be able to reflect on our sessions in between times I may make suggestions of homework should you wish.
What if I am in training to be a counsellor and/or psychotherapist
- It is often a requirement from a training provider that you are in regular therapy with a fully qualified counsellor/psychotherapist.
- Being fully qualified, I have insight about this and am fully prepared to commit to you for the length of your training.
- Often people choose to continue after qualification and I am happy to do that should you wish to.
How do I start
- You can call me or email me. Either is fine and I usually reply within 24 hours Monday to Friday. If I am not free when you call please do leave me a message. It is entirely confidential as only I have access.
- On your first contact do please provide a couple of options of times to call you. When I do call my number will be withheld.
How do I end?
You can sign up for a fixed number of sessions or decide to continue until it feels right for you to end.
In the case of deciding when the time feels right to end, I recommend you mention it in a session and we have at least one more to review our work up to now, identify themes for later work if you may wish to address at some later point (your choice) and most importantly to say our goodbye to each other.
I have formulated these answers to FAQs. You may have more. Please feel free to ask them on the telephone when you initially call me or in our first session as I appreciate you maybe unsure and feeling nervous