Do you prescribe medication
- Counselling and psychotherapy are talking therapies, which means that I do not prescribe medication.
What is the difference between counselling and psychotherapy
- They often overlap depending on what you wish to achieve and your goals. We can work on your goals together if you are unsure.
- Typically counselling is for a set number of sessions when a person experiences a specific event that triggers emotions and feelings that they wish to speak about. The types of experiences maybe relationship difficulties or break ups romantic or with family, bereavement, work issues including redundancy and displacement although the list is not exhaustive.
- Often psychotherapy is of a longer term nature. You may come because you feel ill at ease or unlike yourself or not know what is going on or you notice unhelpful patterns in your relationships.This maybe because there has been an accumulation of events, which may relate to childhood issues or ways in which you relate with others.
- In this space you experience an untangling of your emotional self in order to gain awareness reflection and insight into yourself as a person. This is the key to your personal growth and development.
- In either case, we speak about what brings you. I may ask you questions or ask for clarification to facilitate you being able to identify and understand your feelings.
- I am not directive or an advisor but a source of support whilst you navigate your emotional wellbeing.
- As I am not part of your life outside of the therapeutic space, you experience someone who is solely concentrating on you to enable you to gain insight and awareness to see choices when at times it didn’t feel like there were any.
- Working collaboratively with you the ultimate aim is empowerment and resilience.
- What we speak of is confidential between us save if you are about to harm yourself or someone around you.
- Also, I attend supervision with a experienced and qualified supervisor on a regular basis and will speak about our work. This is in order that I am the most effective for you. This is my ethical commitment to you.
- In supervision I will only mention your first name or initial if you prefer and my supervisor will not be able to identify you and will not have any contact with you. My supervisors are also bound by UKCP ethics.
How often do we engage
- In order for therapy to be effective all the research shows that attendance of a minimum of once a week is the most beneficial although we may agree more. It is on the same day and same time each week.
- In order for you to benefit, our sessions are chargeable so that you commit to the process save for the initial brief free conversation on the telephone.
- If I am unavailable as I am on holiday or unwell you will not be charged. In either case I will give you as much notice as possible.
- If for any reason you cannot attend, the session maybe rescheduled in the week of which we are speaking if I have availability but if not and you can’t attend at another time or miss it it is still charged.
- This is because I reserve your space with me in my diary. I would use the session to think about you and our work together.
How do I pay you
- I request payment weekly before your session or if you wish to pay for a batch of sessions typically a month that is also possible both online. I will provide you with my bank details.
Do I get homework
- It depends on the approach that we decide on. If it enables you to be able to reflect on our sessions in between times I may make suggestions of homework should you wish.
What if I am in training to be a counsellor and/or psychotherapist
- It is often a requirement from a training provider that you are in regular therapy with a fully qualified counsellor/psychotherapist.
- Being fully qualified, I have insight about this and am fully prepared to commit to you for the length of your training.
- Often people choose to continue after qualification and I am happy to do that should you wish to.
How do I start
- You can call me or email me. Either is fine and I usually reply within 24 hours Monday to Friday. If I am not free when you call please do leave me a message. It is entirely confidential as only I have access.
- On your first contact do please provide a couple of options of times to call you. When I do call my number will be withheld
I have formulated these answers to FAQs. You may have more. Please feel free to ask them on the telephone when you initially call me or in our first session as I appreciate you maybe unsure and feeling nervous